Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Visit to Chocola

So much has happened since my last (very exciting) post...let´s catch up. Last Sunday we visited Chocola, which is where I will be heading off on my own in two weeks (!) to live and work for the rest of the year. The whole day was amazing, and I was so encouraged and excited and overwhelmed all at the same time. Before our visit to Chocola, I was feeling a little discouraged and struggling to understand why I´m here and what my purpose is in these first few weeks. My main purpose and goal right now is to learn Spanish - I´m in sort of a preparation stage for what is to come. It has been difficult to feel like I haven´t quite started my "work" here - I´m ready to go out on my own and start building relationships with people and truly becoming part of a community. It seems like Chocola is going to be the perfect place for me to do this.

Everyone in the community was so welcoming and gracious and kind, and I was so touched by the open and loving hearts that met me there. When we first arrived in Chocola, we met with some of the elders from the Horeb Presbyterian Church (where I will be working), and they were incredibly warm and welcoming. They kept calling me their hermana (sister), and talking about how we are all one because of the love of Christ - we are all part of the same family and same body. There were so many moments throughout the day when I was just so overwhelmed , overjoyed, and grateful for the outpouring of love I felt - tears welled up in my eyes.

After being welcomed by some of the elders from the church and talking about some of the possibilities and responsibilities I will have during the year, we ate a delicious meal together that was prepared by some ladies from the church. Then, we went to meet my host family!!!! They are wonderful and were so excited to have me there - I feel like I am really going to be accepted into the family as a daughter and a sister. The parents, Juana and Miguel, have 14 children (!!), although I think only 8 or 9 are currently living in the house. I´m so excited to have so many brothers and sisters - I think I will never be without someone to talk to! My first challenge is going to be learning everyone´s name...

I also got to see my room - it is painted a bright, cheery blue and has a big window that opens to the outside. On the bed is a red, shiny beadspread, with a heart in the center, that looks kind of like it should be in a honeymoon suite...haha. I think I am going to feel very much at home here, and I am so excited to become part of the family. I can picture myself really coming alive here...I was imaging myself making all these drawings and covering the walls of my room with artwork, and singing each morning in my room, and playing music at the church, and feeling like part of the community.

Ahhhh, also, my family has a PIG and chickens and two turkeys...I´m super excited! Except I don´t want to become too attached, since they will probably become dinner one night...

After meeting my host family, we went back to the church to go to the afternoon service. Just as the service was starting, it started downpouring, and the rain was so loud on the metal roof that we could barely hear anything. The woman who was leading the songs was singing at the top of her lungs over a microphone. It was such a genuine way to be praising God - I think that if it weren´t raining so hard, we wouldn´t have had to listen so intently or sing our praises so loudly, straining to lift our voices up to God.

I´m so excited to head off on my own to Chocola in less than two weeks!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Hey Allie- ¿Cómo te va? I love reading your posts! I am going to try to stay on top of all of your adventures as the year goes on. And as I said in my last post, which is under the name YAG for some reason, I want to scheme a way to come visit you. Would that ever be possible? Well, I love you and can't wait to read the next one! I love that you feel like you will be coming alive in Chocola! By the way, do they have a lot of CHOCOLAte there? :) Love you! Sandi

*emily said...

Allie, my dear friend! How absolutely wonderful it's been to be able to read words written by you and feel as if part of me is there alongside of you experiencing the unique places, language, culture and smells that you encounter everyday. I miss you so much! I am seriously considering taking a short holiday in Guatemala around Christmas time and would absolutely love to come visit you! Let's talk soon...I'll hopefully be ironing out details by next week and will know for sure if I'm coming! :) Love you!! -Emily