Friday, September 19, 2008

New Discoveries

So today, I discovered two things:

1. If I jiggle the shower nozzel several times and position it just right, I get about 30 seconds of (luke)warm water - it is amazing.

2. Yesterday my friend Celeste said that she bought a ball of soap (jabon en bola), and she loves the smell of it and wants to just carry it around like a baby all day long. Since then, I have been trying to take note of different smells, because these are the things I am going to remember. I´ve noticed that the bathroom in my house definitely has a distinct smell ( I know this because I have spent a lot of time in there recently...) - it´s not really a bathroom smell, but it´s a smell nonetheless.

Also, it has been raining for the past three days and probably will never stop. I washed some of my clothes by hand yesterday in the pila (a stone basin divided into three sections) and hung my clothes up to dry, but I think they are just going to grow mold instead. It is very wet; I live on the top of a hill, and there is a river of water running down my street.

1 comment:

Lauren Allegra Elio said...

as i was reading this, it made me think of the "proust effect". in case you're not familiar with it, it basically is this phenomenon you're talking about with remembering the scents of where you are...how memories linked with the olfactory senses speedily trigger the connection with that place/time/person/etc...